Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Just a Wednesday

Today wasn't as eventful as other days have been here, but I think that is because things are starting to slow down. However, it was still noteworthy. We had class in the morning, made a tiny sandwich because we have run out of food, and went on our first laundry adventure. Surprise surprise, just like at umd, if you wait too long to move your stuff out of the wash someone will put it on the nasty washing machine top. oh well. we finished the movie Watchmen while we were waiting. Lot's of endings, pretty heavy, solid soundtrack. Tricia told me if I liked the book I wouldnt like the movie, but I haven't read it so i wasn't offended by the movie.

Around 3 we headed over to the radio station where they were having a 'give it a go session.' Basically it was a chance for people to actually try out radio etc. When we walked in, however, there was a 4 piece band playing live on air. It was one guy on acoustic guitar and vocals, one on acoustic bass, one on djembe/higher vocals, and one on the fiddle. It was awesome scottish gyspy folk. Total swoon. We later found out the name of the band is Emelle (http://www.myspace.com/emellebros) and three of them are gypsy brothers, and the fiddle guy is an honorary brother who plays fiddle and produces the music. They were so great we decided to see them later on when they were playing in the student union.

Also while at the station we found out that there was a mix up somewhere and they gave our timeslot to someone else. Fortunately that someone else is a nice greek girl who agreed to doing the show all together. Should be interesting because we can barely understand each other. Our show was going to be We're Not Rednecks, but I dont know if we can do that now because she doesn't know what a redneck is. Anway, it will be fun to make a new friend and hear her music!

After the radio station we had a snack and saw Emelle play again at the union. I am really into their sound. They are from Edinburgh, and they reference a place that we visited in their song. It was a great surprise to have seen them today. Hopefully it won't be the last.

Later in the night Lexy came over and brought her Oracle cards (similar to tarot cards). She read char's first, then calla, then me, and then i was bold enough to channel my psychic abilities to read her cards. The cards are set up in a certain way, and then you read the description from the corresponding book and based on their position it applies to you differently. It was really fun, and if I choose to believe it, I think it would be pretty accurate. It basically said I have had years worth of an artistic block, and I need to get out there and be creative in order to tie up loose ends and be happy. I buy that. I've had the desire to create or learn an instrument or something. I am hoping that the free time that I will have this semester because class hours are so much less than I am used to that I will be able to fulfill that goal. I will keep you updated on my creative endeavors. One of the cool cards that calla got (she is graduating at the end of this semester so most of her cards applied to that) was of the gatekeeper. The description said something about how a gate is just a gate, until someone guards it does it become desirable and worth attempting to cross through. I think that was pretty cool. The book said some weird stuff too however. It was describing letting loose, and suggested reading a good book, dancing in front of the computer screen after winning a game, and to add something sporty, playing golf and pretending to soar away on the ball. If you weren't sure by now if the person who wrote the book was a little nerdy, i think that list of things to do to have a good time should probably seal the deal. I am not sure if I buy into all of it, but it does feel pretty cultural to be talking about faeries. The celtic vibe is all around, in the towering hills on the outskirts of campus.

Other new update: got a 4th roommate. A guy named nubol (i think) moved into the room that mark switched out of. He seems kind of shy, but it might just be the language barrier. He is from Kazakhstan. Should be an interesting semester!

That's all to report for now. This weekend: MUNICH OR BUST


love and faeries,
Amanda

No comments:

Post a Comment